Living in a van can be a great way to reduce expenses and live a minimalist lifestyle. Still, finding reliable, the best pick, and affordable power sources can also be challenging.
We have tried to resolve this issue by enlisting the best solar generator for van life.
Portable solar generators are becoming increasingly popular among van lifers, as they are a versatile and affordable way to get power on the go.
The best portable solar generator for van life is a good option for people who want to use renewable energy and don’t have a lot of space.
It is also good for people who don’t have a lot of resources.
All models recommended are selected because they are solar-powered portable generators suitable for van living (e.g., small size and low weight).
At a Glance:
- Best Solar Generator for Van: Jackery Explorer 1000 Solar Generator
- Best Competitive Solar Generator For Van: MAXOAK EB150 Solar Generator
- Best Budget Solar Generator For Van: Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator
- Best Performance Solar Generator for Van Life: Renogy PHOENIX 150W Solar Generator
- Best Heavy-Duty Solar Generator For Van: EF ECO FLOW DELTA Solar Power Station
- Best Portable Solar Generator For Van: Nature’s Gold 1800W Solar Generator
Best Solar Generator for Van Life Comparison
|Jackery Explorer 1000 Solar Generator||Best Solar Generator for Van||4.5||Check Price|
|MAXOAK EB150 Solar Generator||Best Competitive Solar Generator For Van||4.6||Check Price|
|Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator||Best Budget Solar Generator For Van||4.5||Check Price|
|Renogy PHOENIX 150W Solar Generator||Best Performance Solar Generator for Van Life||4.6||Check Price|
|EF ECOFLOW DELTA Solar Power Station||Best Heavy Duty Solar Generator For Van||4.6||Check Price|
|Nature’s Gold 1800W Solar Generator||Best Portable Solar Generator For Van||4.6||Check Price|
Best Solar Generator For Van Life
Best Solar Generator for Van
Jackery portable power station is made of imported Samsung Brand high capacity lithium-ion battery.
It can provide up to 8 full charges for an iPhone 6s/7/8 or around 2.5 charges for a Galaxy S7.
And it can be recharged with either AC or solar power to charge your devices anytime and anywhere.
With 3 110V/1000W AC outlets, you can use the Jackery Explorer portable generator to charge laptops, TVs, refrigerators, drills, blenders, and other larger appliances simultaneously.
You can also charge it with a 120W or larger solar panel.
This Explorer has three pure sin wave AC outlets, two USB-C, and one quick charge 3.0 port.
It’ll keep your full-size refrigerator, TV, heater, electric grill, blanket, and other essentials running for your outdoor and house activities.
The Explorer 1000 can be equipped with two Jackery Solarsaga 100W solar panels, upgrading into a Solar Generator 1000 System as an alternative to owning the unending energy.
The MPPT technology has been revolutionized, resulting in a 23% better charging efficiency.
The Explorer 1000 has three standard PURE SINE WAVE AC outlets, allowing you to power more AC gadgets and appliances.
It can be charged while its battery life is preserved, giving this generator an extra advantage over other portable generators.
At such a huge capacity, this Explorer will leave you with virtually no noise whatsoever, giving you peace and power all at once.
The product’s safety was well-considered during its construction, and your devices and appliances are secured while being charged.
The Jackery Explorer portable power generator is ideal for camping, emergencies, home backup, construction sites, etc.
It gives you enough power to recharge a laptop 7 times through a car engine or up to 15 times on a sunny day.
It features a pure sine wave inverter with a low-noise design that provides stable power.
Best Competitive Solar Generator For Van
MAXOAK Portable Power Station is powerful safe, and easy to use.
It comes standard with a state-of-the-art intelligent control system, which contains overcharge, discharge, short circuit, and overload protection to ensure safety.
MAXOAK portable solar power station is one of the most versatile power sources available.
With 2 AC outlets, you can simultaneously charge larger devices like refrigerators or small appliances.
MAXOAK EB150 has a lithium battery of 1500Wh and a 1000W AC inverter.
This power station is designed for high-power devices such as blenders, drills, and hair Dryers (Max.1000W).
It meets various power needs and is widely used for home use, outdoor activities, RV, etc.
With a broad solar recharging range of 16-60V(OCV), you may connect many solar panels in series or parallel to produce up to 500W of power, and the pre-installed MPPT controller in the MAXOAK EB150 allows for faster charging by 40%.
We recommend an SP120(120W) or SP200(200W) solar panel to recharge the power station.
The MAXOAK EB150 portable solar generator features 2110V AC outlets, 112V regulated DC12V, and 4*5V3A(Max) USB charging ports for keeping several daily-used devices operating in the event of an unforeseen power outage or away from a wall outlet, widely used indoor or outdoor.
The SOLAR MAXOAK solar generator is a power generator that can be recharged from the sun using a solar panel (Open circuit voltage must be 16V～68V(Max), Max 500W, the solar panel not included).
This power station can be fully charged after about 7 to 8 hours when plugged into an outlet. The solar panel determines the charge time.
With 1500Wh of capacity, this qualifies as a small gas generator and can power many devices at once.
Best Budget Solar Generator For Van
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can be used to power your devices and appliances. It’s the best-performing solar generator for under $1000.
A battery charges in about 5 hours if you use a standard wall outlet. This solar generator features eight separate ports: 4 USBs, 1 12V port, and 3 AC outlets (1 for larger appliances).
The Yeti 400’s energy storage is provided by sealed lead-acid batteries, which are very heavy. The included frame allows for secure transportation.
The Yeti 400’s 396Wh lead acid battery can charge up to 7 devices at once (33Ah @ 12V). The Continuous watts are 300W, while the surge watts are 600W.
It can be recharged by AC, 12V, or solar panels (additional purchase required).
Goal Zero recommends using two or three 33Ah lead-acid batteries in series to increase the run time, but it can take advantage of other 400 Ah lead-acid batteries.
With other 33Ah lead-acid batteries, it’s chainable.
The Yeti is a silent, no-fumes, no-maintenance alternative to the Goal Zero gas-powered generator.
The design and engineering of these units were handled by power station experts with a US-based customer service center.
The Yeti 400 is perfect for powering larger appliances, though it might be a bit too big and heavy to take on long camping trips.
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator is an excellent choice for anyone who values power more than lightweight portability.
This powerful machine will cost a lot. But it’s the best machine to make energy from the sun.
Best Performance Solar Generator for Van Life
The Renogy Phoenix is a 150W foldable solar generator that is one of the most popular solar generators on the market today.
It features a rugged design and weighs only 13 pounds, making it easy to transport anywhere.
It comes with two 110V AC outlets, two USB ports, and one 12V DC port. The high-efficiency 20w monocrystalline solar panels are weatherproof and built to last.
These panels can be expanded to 1000w.
The Phoenix is powered by a 17.1Ah li-ion(neck) Battery and can be charged via solar, AC power, or car power.
They included 17. 1Ah Li-ion (neck) battery allows for limitless electricity since it has a temperature range of 045C°.
The Phoenix’s maximum continuous output power is 150W. AC frequency is 60 Hz, and the minimum inverter efficiency is 80%.
High-quality materials and great versatility make the Renogy Phoenix Solar Generator an excellent choice for anyone who wants a reliable power solution.
Best Heavy Duty Solar Generator For Van
The EcoFlow power station comes with a lithium battery pack that may be charged by the 10-65V solar panel (not included), AC wall adapter, and automobile charger.
We do not recommend utilizing third-party solar panels (If you must use them and need DIY wiring, please see the product description for the proper method).
EFDELTA can be recharged from 0% to 80% in one hour and 100% in two hours using x-stream technology.
ECONFLOW’s patented X-Stream Technology allows EFDELTA to be recharged ten times faster than other portable power stations on the market with just a standard AC cable.
The DELTA is a 1260Wh portable power station that may be used for various electricity demands outside usage at home, travel, camping, and in the backseat on long road trips.
This portable solar generator is a powerhouse in a small package.
This silent yet powerful generator can output up to 1800W, which means you can run your critical appliances and charge your devices without needing an outlet.
You can even plug in a microwave or refrigerator. It has two 100W solar panels built to withstand tough outdoor conditions, and they increase the run time of this unit tremendously.
Its 1260Wh battery pack has 6 AC outlets, 4 USB ports, one 12V port, and a bright LCD screen for power readings.
EcoFlow guarantees a return on investment of 24 months from the purchase date and courteous customer service for our valued clients.
It is the perfect generator for various activities, including camping, RV use, boating, or having it in your home.
EF ECOFLOW portable power station 1260Wh battery pack with 6 1800W (3300W Surge) AC outlets, solar generator for outdoor camping RV boat.
It’s an ideal power source if you’re looking for both solar power and the convenience of a small, portable generator.
It’s versatile enough to be used almost anywhere.
Best Portable Solar Generator For Van
Nature’s Generator Gold 1800W Solar & Wind Powered Generator can be a portable power generator for emergencies and a home backup system.
It features advanced inverter technology capable of running larger appliances like refrigerators, freezers, microwaves, coffee makers, and more.
The combination of this portable power generator and 100W solar panel is perfect for individuals who want to prepare for emergencies, outdoor activities, or camping.
The Solar Flare contains a built-in 1800W Pure Sine Wave Inverter and Internal 60AH battery, allowing you to produce 720 watt-hours of total output on a single charge.
1 x 100W Nature’s Generator Power Panel with built-in wheels for easy transportation and movement is included in the complete System.
A 50ft power panel cable is also included for connecting the power panel to Nature’s Generator (some assembly required).
Nature’s generator has three 120V AC outlets, two USB ports that combine for 3A of power, one 12V DC outlet, one Solar Input (200W charge controller built-in), and one Wind Input (300W charge controller built-in).
Nature’s generator has a lighted LCD screen on the front that displays battery level, charging status, output usage (above 100W), and more!
Nature’s generator also has an expansion port connecting an infinite number of Nature’s generator power pods on the back panel.
This system can be a backup in power failures, such as during storms, blackouts, and earthquakes.
It also functions well as a home backup system by recharging the batteries when there is no power.
This machine can also be used in the garden or the garage without turning on the power for the whole house.
The generator is environment-friendly and does not emit any noise when operating. It has a low power consumption rate.
It uses solar energy for recharging during sunny days, wind to recharge on windy days, gas for emergencies, and an AC cord for home appliances.
Benefits of Solar Powered Generators
There are many benefits of solar generators, including the fact that they don’t require fuel to operate.
Solar generators are green, so you won’t be polluting the environment while using them.
They also run quietly and don’t produce any emissions or fumes as conventional generators do.
Solar generators can be used anywhere with sunlight to harness solar energy for power.
Since they produce their own power, you don’t have to worry about finding a place where you can plug it in.
Solar energy is available throughout the seasons and all day long, so it’s easy to keep your generator running with clean power at almost any time during the year.
Solar generators are great for camping or tailgating since there’s no need to fuel up or worry about noxious fumes.
They’re also useful during emergencies when the power goes out, so you’ll have plenty of power for lighting and appliances if you’ve got a solar generator on hand.
The following are the benefits of Solar Powered Generators:
- Save money on electricity bills.
- Reduce your carbon footprint.
- Be environmentally friendly and support the earth.
- Ideal for emergencies and blackouts.
- It’s great for camping, boating, tailgating, and more
Drawbacks of Solar Power Generator for Van Life
- One potential drawback of solar power generators is that they can be quite large and take up a lot of space. If you’re looking for a generator to use in a van or other small space, a solar-powered model might not be ideal.
- Solar generators also require sunlight to work, so if you’re using them in an area that doesn’t get a lot of sun, you may not be able to rely on them as your sole source of power.
- Solar generators are also more expensive than traditional generators powered by gas or other fuel sources.
- Solar generators might not be the best choice if you are looking for a cheaper option. Solar generators can be expensive and might not be worth the money if you are looking for a cheaper option. Electric generators are usually much less expensive than comparable solar generators.
- Another drawback is they produce less power. If your appliances are power-hungry, it may not be an appropriate solution for you.
- They recharge slowly. If you are using it to power a high-energy appliance, it requires the perfect amount of sunlight to work properly.
- They are not easy to maintain. The solar cells must be cleaned regularly to maintain power production levels at their highest.
- The life of the battery varies. If you don’t store it properly or recharge it regularly, then the life of your power source will be lessened, and the storage capacity will deteriorate over time.
- The lifespan of the solar generator is reduced when used commercially or in a marine environment. This can be due to the large amount of salt present in these conditions, and it adversely affects the life of the cells.
Uses of Solar Powered Generators
- Solar generators are great for powering appliances in remote locations with no available power source.
- They can also be used during emergencies or blackouts when the power goes out, so you’ll have plenty of access to electricity for lighting and other essentials.
- Since they can be used anywhere, solar generators are useful for camping or tailgating activities where there’s no power source available, and you don’t want to rely on gas-powered generators.
- Many people use them in their homes when storm season arrives to keep their appliances powered in case of a blackout. They’re also great for remote cabins, boat owners and small businesses that need a way to keep their power on in the event of an outage.
- Solar generators are also useful for powering appliances in areas where the power source is unreliable.
- If you live in an area with a lot of storms or other bad weather, a solar generator can help you stay powered up.
- This is a device that uses the sun’s energy to create power, which can then be used to run lights and appliances during a power outage.
Solar-powered generators are a great option for those who want to be environmentally conscious and want extra peace of mind knowing their power source is renewable.
Solar generators also have many other benefits, such as using them anywhere there’s sunlight.
They can store energy from days when it is sunny, so you’ll still have access to electricity on cloudy days.
If you’re looking into portable solar-powered generator options, we recommend checking out our all-well-researched list of reviews of the best solar generator for van life, which provides a more in-depth overview of different models and considerations before buying one.
Not all solar generators are made equally, so research your purchase carefully before buying.
Not all models provide enough power to meet your needs. You’ll also need to think about how much space you have.
FAQs: Best Solar Generator for Van Life
Is Portable Solar-Powered Generator Worth It?
- When you decide to buy a portable solar-powered generator, think about how much sun exposure it will get. This is important because the generator will need sunlight to work.
- If you live in an area that doesn’t get a lot of sun, a solar-powered generator may not be worth it. Additionally, solar generators can be more expensive than traditional generators.
- If you are looking for the cheapest option, a solar-powered generator may not be your best choice. Electric generators are usually much less expensive than comparable solar generators.
- Another factor to consider is how much power the generator will produce. If your appliances are power-hungry, it may not be an appropriate solution for you.
- Solar generators also require sunlight to work, so they recharge slowly. If you are using it to power a high-energy appliance, it requires the perfect amount of sunlight to work properly.
- These generators are not easy to maintain either. The solar cells must be cleaned regularly to maintain power production levels at their highest.
- The life of the battery varies as well, so if you don’t store it properly or recharge it regularly, then the life of your power source will be lessened, and the storage capacity will deteriorate over time.
- If you’re looking for a prepper’s best friend, a solar-powered generator is probably not the way to go. If you ever have to evacuate, you can take your home with you.
- If you live in an area that gets a lot of sunlight, or if your appliances are low wattage, then this may be the best option for you.
Is Solar Power the Future of Off-Grid Living?
Yes, solar power is the future of off-grid living. Solar energy is a renewable resource, which means that it can be used repeatedly, and it doesn’t produce any harmful emissions as traditional generators do.
Solar generators are also very quiet, so you won’t disturb your neighbors with noise pollution.
Additionally, solar generators can be used anywhere there is sunlight, making them a versatile choice for off-grid living.
Can a solar generator power an RV?
To a certain extent, yes, it can. The best solar generator for van life or RV is a good choice. We have a solar generator that is specifically made for RVs and Boats.
When purchasing one, you must consider your power needs to ensure the wattage is powerful enough to handle your primary electrical needs.
The inverter should not cause any problems because these generators are designed with auto-ranging inputs in mind, so they’ll produce the voltage if amps needed respectively by using more or fewer watts or volts as necessary so you don’t need an expensive professional installation of wiring which isn’t required for many of our cheaper models of solar generators.
You Might Also be Interested in the following: